How many times have you wanted to write something but didn’t know where and how to start? We face this struggle every day.
Everything has an introduction from day to day conversation, text messaging to even academic essay writing.
How to start an essay and why the introduction is so important in the first place? This task can be quite frustrating even if you love writing.
To help you get through this here is a complete guide you can have a look at.
1. How To Start An Essay - Why It Is Important To Learn
Think of the introductory paragraph and conclusion as the hamburger bun and the meat of the burger is all the information found in the body paragraphs of the essay. And keep in mind the most pertinent information will be in the body of the essay.
The first thing to note down is that no one will bother reading the rest of your essay if the start is not attention-grabbing.
If you don’t know how to start an essay, it will be impossible for you to write a successful one.
When you find no one to help you start writing, you are left in a miserable situation with numerous efforts but not a single convincing result.
Let’s change that, we are here to help you. Keep on reading to learn how to start an essay effectively.
But first, keep the following things to understand why it is important to start an essay with a bang.
- It is your one and only chance to make a good first impression. If you fail to do so don’t expect the reader to waste time on your essay.
- The opening line of your essay is the attention grabber. It needs to be interesting in order to keep the readers hooked no matter what type of essay it is.
- This is the section that will reflect the overall quality of your essay. This is where you highlight the most important part of the essay known as a thesis statement.
- It is a great chance for you to pique the reader’s interest right from the start of an essay. It is also known as an essay hook, usually, the first line that aims to make the reader interested in what you have to say.
2. Different Ways To Start an Essay
Now you know why the start of an essay is so important in its overall success. It’s time to discuss the different ways that you can take into account for an attention-grabbing start. No matter if it is an argumentative essay, persuasive essay, or any other piece of writing. Before you begin to start an essay must specify the goal of your paper.
One thing to keep in mind, writing an introduction for an essay about yourself is different from the rest of the essays.
2.1 Ask A Question
One of the most effective ways to grab the reader’s attention is to start an essay with a question. In this way, the reader will think about the subject and he/she will be interested to know how you have tackled the question in the essay.
2.2 Add Statistics
You can also start with a fun or shocking statistic to involve the reader in your writing piece from the start. Relevant facts and statistics can help you in providing some background information.
For serious issues, start with shocking statistics, as it will make the reader think about how this can be true. In this way they will keep on reading for more information.
Play with these facts and statistics to prove why your point of view is worth reading.
A great way to start an essay is to tell a brief interesting story. Make sure the story relate to the essay topic.
You can use this approach to set the overall scene and tone for your essay. It will also help you create a scenario in the reader’s mind.
Starting an essay with a quote is a great way to involve the reader in your writing. Start with a cool quote, make sure it is not boring. You can find various quotes from writers, historical figures, scientists with just a single click on the internet.
Make sure the quote is from a credible source and it relates to the topic of the essay in some way or other.
3. Important Tips On How To Start An Essay
There are some key points that you need to keep in mind for writing an outstanding essay introduction.
- The essay introduction should not be too long - a good approach is to keep the introduction up to 6 sentences.
- It is sometimes okay to use “I will..” in the article but in the essays and some other academic papers be political and let your paper do the talking.
- Always start with something specific, don’t drag it by unnecessary information that can stray away from the subject.
- Most students start with a dictionary definition. Don’t make this terrible mistake if you really want your essay to stand from the rest. It is a lot better if you define a phrase by using a creative approach or personal opinion.
- The best approach is to write the introduction after creating the first draft to cleverly sum up all the things in the introduction.
Want to learn more about starting your essay? Here is a complete essay format guide for you. Carefully go through this blog before you begin writing your essay.
Looking For Professional Help?
If you are still stuck at writing the perfect essay introduction, feel free to contact us at FreeEssayWriter for writing an essay for you.
We know how it is like to be a student, the never-ending essays, stress, tight deadlines and the feeling of no life away from a computer screen.
If you ever found yourself in that situation, come to us, we provide custom written essays to help you make your audience want to read your essay from cover to cover.
Take out the pain of assignment writing by contacting us today!