An essay is a precise piece of writing that mainly outlines the writer’s perspective. However, it can be a difficult task for those who do not possess good writing skills.
Similarly, essay topics in English can be tough to come up with. Most of the high school and college students face a hard time selecting the right topic.
No need to worry. We have listed some good essay topics from different categories in this article.
You can choose them as it is or can also mold them according to your preference.
1. Argumentative Essay Topics
The argumentative essay requires a writer to investigate a topic by collecting and evaluating strong evidence. Below mentioned is a list of some argumentative topics for you.
- It is illegal to produce or sell tobacco
- Children should not watch action films
- Adverse effects of steroids
- How the world can avoid the Third World War?
- How to overcome the financial crisis?
- Student’s preferences should be considered while modifying the college curriculum.
- How can a student be benefited from higher education?
- Pros and cons of a business degree
- Sports is the best way to release depression
- Positive and negative effects of globalization
- Impacts of same-sex marriages on society
- Health care treatment must be free for everyone
- Parents should check their children’s cell phones regularly
- Are we too dependent on technology?
- Alcohol energy drinks are dangerous for the human brain.
Sometimes, your teacher assigns you a topic. However, if you have the opportunity to choose your argumentative topic, you can write your essay on any of these.
Similarly, you can also select any other topic from our blog on argumentative essay topics.
2. Descriptive Essay Topics
Descriptive essays help in describing something i.e. an object, place, person, emotion, etc. It encourages the writer’s ability to create a written account of his personal experience.
Here is a list of some topics for you.
- A movie character that inspires me the most.
- My first ever trip to Australia
- The birthday party I never forgot
- My favorite book
- The day I spend with my grandparents
- A memorable trip to the zoo
- A life-changing experience
- The happiest moment of my life
- My major achievement
- A visit to an old friend
- A person who changed your life
- A trip to the museum
- Describe your daily routine
- Describe your best winter vacations
- Describe a frightening experience
Any high-graded school student can pick a topic of his choice from this list.
3. Persuasive Essay Topics
Persuasive essays are also known as argumentative essays. Such essay types intend the writer to convince the audience about his point of view. As a result, he has to provide strong evidence and logical reasoning.
The following list contains topics for college and middle school students.
- High schools should offer degrees in arts or sciences
- Mobile phones must be forbidden to use while driving
- Violent video games should be banned
- Death penalties prove to be an effective way to eliminate crime
- Gym classes are more important than music classes
- Sodas should not be served in public school cafeterias
- Human beings are the main cause of climate change
- Heavy taxation overburdens the lower- and middle-class families
- People should be careful while posting their pictures on social media
- Parents should pay attention to their children’s personal grooming
- Teachers should focus on improving the writing style of students
- Modern youth needs to learn ethics from older generations
- Marijuana should be used for curing mental disorders
- Bullies and harassers should be kicked out of schools
- Emotional support pets should be allowed in schools
You can also read our blog on persuasive essay topics for further help.
4. Narrative Essay Topics
Narrative essays have a single central argument around which the whole narrative revolves. A writer must think of it as telling a story.
Some good topics are given below:
- The first day of school
- A dangerous experience
- My worst quarrel with a classmate
- Best way to release stress
- A decision that changed my life
- My father’s childhood
- My first international flight
- An awkward meeting with a stranger
- Adopting my passion as a career
- Why I love my city
- A book that inspires me the most
- My first day of living in a hostel
- The day I lost my best friend in a car accident
- My new job
- How music plays a major role in my life?
5. Expository Essay Topics
Expository essays require a student to investigate, explain and evaluate a piece of information concisely.
We have listed out some topics for your expository essays.
- Alcohol addiction often leads to suicide among teenagers
- Negative effects of drugs
- Why a person should vote in elections?
- How can we promote racial tolerance?
- Ways to stay fit and healthy
- Why it is important to have a pet?
- How music affects our mental health?
- Technology has widened the communication gap
- How can we treat allergic reactions?
- How the period of the Great Depression affected the US economy?
- Why everyone should have a basic knowledge of IT?
- How to manage your studies with a part-time job?
- Positive and negative effects of wearing a school uniform
- What are the long-term effects of global warming?
- What are the major reasons for environmental pollution?
5.1 Compare and Contrast Essay Topics
In a compare and contrast essay, a writer has to analyze two subjects by either comparing or contrasting them. The primary purpose is to identify the similarities and differences between them.
Here is a list of some good compare and contrast essay topics for you.
- School vs college life: Which one is better?
- Traditional education vs online learning
- How a graduate and a postgraduate degree is different from each other?
- Compare American English and British English
- Living at home vs living at a hostel
- Explain the similarities between a Roman and Greek culture
- Comedy vs Action: Which one is more interesting?
- Differences in the personality of Donald Trump and George W. Bush
- Outdoor games vs indoor games
- TV vs Newspaper: Best source for information
- Tea or Coke: Which is more dangerous for health?
- Compare and Contrast the IOS and Android system
- Describe the characteristics of a public and a private school
- Winters sports or Summer sports: Which one is more entertaining?
- World War I VS World War II: Which one causes more destruction?
6. Informative Essay Topics
Informative essays do not involve personal opinions and thoughts of a writer. Its only purpose is to educate people about a certain topic.
Here is a list of some great essay topics for you.
- Effects of the Civil War
- Results of climate change
- Domestic violence: Harmful effects on society
- Poverty: A curse to society
- Mental and emotional stress: Ways to overcome it
- Racism: Ways to avoid it
- Child Obesity: Potential solutions
- Role of course books
- Consequences of the acid rain
- The aftermath of the Cold war
- How to save money?
- Ways to treat an insomnia patient
- High unemployment rates in Third world countries
- How to lose weight without a strict diet plan?
- Ways to deal with bipolar disorders
Get Professional Help
Now you might have an idea of selecting an impressive topic for your essay. However, if you still need any help, relying on a professional writing service is a good idea.
FreeEssayWriter is undoubtedly the best of all as it is one of the top-ranked writing services online. Our team of writers has years of experience to produce original and plagiarism free content.
Similarly, we offer such writing facilities at affordable rates. Therefore, trust us and contact our team to place your order. We guarantee to provide your assignment within a given deadline.