A debate is an essential part of your academic program. Similarly, it also serves as an engaging activity for young people.
Many students face problems while they are preparing to debate. The most common difficulty is to choose interesting debate topics.
Even if you have an impressive content but do not have an engaging topic, the audience will definitely lose their interest. Therefore, choose the right and appropriate topic.
This blog will provide you with some amazing topics to choose from for your debate.
1. What Is A Debate?
A debate is a kind of a formal and serious discussion on a certain topic. It presents opposing and counter-arguments to support a particular claim or argument. Such a discussion is often held at a place where there are audiences and a panel to judge the arguments that are put forward.
Every debate has some basic elements that include:
- The logical consistency of the argument
- Supporting evidence
- Factual accuracy
- Emotional appeal
Generally, the debating sessions take place in academic institutes, public meetings and legislative and lawmaking assemblies.
In this, a participant tries to cancel the point of view and arguments of the opponents by supporting his own stance with solid proof. Similarly, this activity not only engages the audience but also increases their knowledge.
1.1 Types of Debates
There are mainly four types of debates. Each type is conducted differently according to the situation, setting, and the topic. These are:
- Oregon- Oxford Debate
- Rebuttal Debate
- One- Rebuttal Debate
- Lincoln - Douglas Debate
No matter which type of debate you are participating in, try to choose a unique and strong topic. It will help to grab the audience's attention.
2. Debate Topics for 2020
The great debate topic is the first thing that your audience will come across. Therefore, it must be compelling enough to grab the audience's attention to your viewpoint. Similarly, an important subject is also essential for memorable debates.
Therefore, we suggest that you conduct thorough research before deciding on a specific topic.
Your college or school debate topic should also provide enough evidence that strongly supports your stance by denying the opposing argument.
If you are already assigned with a topic then it is easier to gather relevant material. However, you have given a chance to choose a topic yourself, think of something interesting.
Here we have mentioned a complete list of 2020 engaging ideas to help you out for your debates. Continue reading to find great topics for students.
2.1 Controversial Debate Topics
Some of the controversial debate topics are given below.
- Children should not be allowed to play violent video games
- Are private schools better than public schools?
- Students should be allowed to form their own curricula at any academic level
- Is abortion murder?
- Is human cloning ethically acceptable?
- Performance-enhancing drugs are used to improve human activity. Yes or No?
- Is patriotism advantageous or threatening?
- Is higher education a necessary prerequisite of one's financial success
- Parents always treat their children fairly: yes or no?
- Religion does more harm than good
- Zoos should be banned
- Are men stronger than women?
- Companies should hire 50% male and 50% female employees
- Peer pressure is a good thing.
- Smoking should be banned worldwide
- The sale of fur must be banned
- Bad parenting can be blamed for childhood obesity
- Alcohol should not be sold after 10 pm
- Reality television is harming society
- Public prayer should not be allowed in schools
- There is no third gender
- Homosexual relationships are against nature
- Every person should have a pet.
- School uniforms must be banned in every school.
- Co-education schools are better for education.
- Women are better managers than men
- Sex education must be banned in middle schools
- Competition is far more necessary in regards to the learning process
- Posting students grades on bulletin boards publicly are humiliating
- Parents should not purchase war or destruction type toys for their children
- It is unethical to eat meat
- The age gap is an important factor in relationships
- Credit cards are more harmful than debit cards
- Bullying in schools must be stopped
- Being a man has more advantages than a woman
2.2 Funny Debate Topics
Following funny debate topics will offer humorous matters.
- Sunlight affects vampires: How?
- Junk food should be banned in schools and colleges
- Why can men date younger women but women won't date younger men?
- Women are much more complicated than men
- Will technology make people smarter?
- All people should become vegetarian.
- Can all cars become electric?
- Is leisure essential for workplace effectiveness?
- Daydreaming versus night dreaming: which is better?
- Feminism should focus more on men's rights
- Do fairy tales affect children's reality perception?
- Is summer vacation better than winter vacation?
- Women spend their leisure time differently than men
- Has the #MeToo movement gone too far?
- Barbie is a good role model for young girls
- Individuals should own their own DNA
- Dance can be considered as a sport
- Values or wealth? Which one is necessary to survive?
- Are there some discrete messages in nursery rhymes
- Which gender is better? Male or female?
- Can vampires get AIDS?
- All schools should ban homework.
- American Idol is better than X-Factor.
- Dogs are better pets than cats.
- Can we party after death?
- All women are irrational and use intuition instead of logic
- Classes should start in the afternoon
- Is it better to date someone attractive and popular or intelligent and smart?
- Rock n Roll music is better than Hip Hop
- Fried food always comes with a warning
- Are we aliens of some sort?
- Discuss the best dating techniques
- What is the best pizza topping?
- Dogs are proved to be better pets than cats and rabbits
- Pirates are more real than ninjas
2.3 Political Debate Topics
Below-mentioned are some essential political debate topics for you to choose from.
- Dictatorship and monarchy should end worldwide. Why?
- Should the death penalty be abolished in the United States?
- Political campaigns must be organized on money borrowed by corporations
- Limiting terms for US senators and representatives brings more harm than benefit
- There should be a monarch system in the United States
- Is the US Constitution a living document?
- Ancient Roman culture versus contemporary culture
- Democracy is the best form of government
- Political leaders should perform on social platforms nowadays
- Is there any economic justification for wars?
- Police should be allowed to use lethal force
- Is feminism irrelevant in the 21st century?
- Unpaid internships should be against the law
- The government should provide free birth control
- Gay couples should be allowed to adopt children
- Animals should have the same rights as humans
- Is the Paris Agreement relevant anymore?
- Should wealthy people pay higher taxes than the poor?
- Can the current US government ensure the country's financial stability?
- Governments should invest in alternative energy sources
- Nuclear powers of the world are responsible for wars
- Is allowing teachers to carry guns on campuses a good idea?
- Progressive tax rates are not justified.
- Marijuana must be recognised as a social offence and a crime.
- It is the duty of the government to provide national security to its citizens
- Britain should not be a part of the European Union.
- Large business corporations should pay more taxes
- Propaganda is the tool used by politicians to manipulate masses
- Torture is justified when used for the purpose of national safety and security
- Do you think the United States will never have a woman President?
- Celebrities can get away with more crime than non-celebrities
- The U.S. government should provide internet service to every citizen
- Should a border fence be constructed between the U.S. and Mexico?
- Should America give foreign aid to other countries?
- Microaggressions should be punishable by law?
2.4 Interesting Debate Topics
Some of the interesting and engaging topics for college students are mentioned below:
- Everyone should not be allowed to keep weapons
- How to deal with illegal immigrants?
- Students must also be involved in extracurricular activities and sports
- Is it sound to demand that all students learn at least one foreign language?
- How secure is mobile banking?
- Can education be completely privatized?
- How essential is a college education for getting a good job?
- Does modern social media make people less socially active?
- Is parental support essential for the future success of children?
- Can people save nature using technology (or destroy it)?
- Is mandatory vaccination a means of ensuring proper health?
- Do technological advances influence us?
- Is artificial intelligence dangerous?
- Companies should be taxed on their carbon emissions
- Does technology intensify human communication skills?
- History and its influence on future
- Encouraging teenagers to read books: are outcomes worth efforts?
- Is privacy important?
- Advertising should be banned during children's programs
- Pop music is the best kind of music
- Moreland should be dedicated to national parks
- Schools should block sites like YouTube, Facebook, and Instagram on their computers
- Trust is the pillar of any relationship
- Standardized tests are not an effective method to determine a student's ability.
- Humans should be blamed for some animal extinctions
- Curfews are effective in terms of keeping people out of danger
- It is unethical for businesses to market their commodities to children
- Money is the motivating factor for the people in the workplace
- Are security cameras an invasion of our privacy?
- Are humans too dependent on computers?
- Social networking sites are sophisticated means for stalking people
- It is important for all schools to conduct mandatory drug testing on their students
- Is it effective to censor parts of the media?
- Is peer pressure harmful or beneficial?
- Teachers should not be allowed to contact students through social media platforms
2.5 Public Forums Debate Topics
The below-mentioned topics will be discussed at the public forums.
- Drug addicts can deal through help or punishment?
- Plastic bags cause environmental pollution. Is it true?
- Mobiles must be banned at school
- Everyone has a right to freedom of speech and expression
- Is patriotism a good or a bad thing?
- Pros and cons of using social media
- Are there any reasons to raise minimum wages?
- Students should learn the ethics of different religions at schools
- Should children use smartphones without parental supervision?
- Are student loans exploitative?
- How does tourism affect the environment?
- Is parental supervision the same as parental control?
- Modern healthcare and antibiotics: Advantages and disadvantages
- Mandatory financial education: pros and cons
- Can censorship ever be justified?
- Can animal testing be justified?
- Parents should be able to refuse medical treatment for their children
- We are living in a dystopian society
- Parents should limit the amount of time their children spend on technology
- Cosmetic procedures must be covered by health insurance
- Obesity should be labelled a disease
- The minimum wage should be $15 per hour
- Public speaking is a way to foster a child's communication skills.
- A surge of Honour Killings
- Money is the only source of motivation in practical life.
- History is important to study for understanding the present scenario
- Nuclear energy should be developed for commercial use
- Should plastic bags be banned?
- Animal dissections should be banned in high schools and colleges
- All schools should teach music and arts to their students
- High schools should provide daycare services for students who have children
- The boarding school system is beneficial to children
- The concept of zoos should be nullified
- Mixed martial arts should not be banned
- Manufacturing of nuclear weapons must be permitted to all the states
3. How to Select A Good Debate Topic?
Good topics are necessary for meaningful debates. Therefore, you must pick compelling and controversial debate topics. There are plenty of such topics for you to choose from.
A good topic makes the audience learn about both sides of an issue. If college or high school students have less time for preparation, they should choose a topic that is neither too challenging nor too easy for them.
Remember, compelling topics will result in more intense and extraordinary discussions. Moreover, middle school students also end up engaging by forgetting about their hesitation and fear of public speaking.
Therefore, consider the following factors when selecting a debate topic:
- Interest: Make sure that you are interested in the topic. Also, think whether it would be engaging enough for the classmates and the audience? Selecting a topic that you are passionate about makes the preparation part even more exciting.
- Argument Potential: Choose a debate topic that has a solid argument potential. If only one side is right or if there is a limited amount of information available, you will face a hard time crafting a good debate.
- Availability of Data: A topic with a lot of empirical data can bolster your argument.
- Target Audience: Your topic must be in accordance with the intellectual level of your audience. This is how they will actually understand what you are trying to deliver through your debate.
The topics provided above are some really research topics for your debates. If you cannot rely on your writing skills, FreeEssayWriter is a top-ranked writing service online that provides professional help.
We have a team of experienced writers that guarantee to produce zero plagiarism content. Moreover, we help students with reasonable pricing plans. Our primary aim is to help you with all your academic needs. Thus, we do our best to accomplish it.
Place your order now to achieve better grades.