What Is A Thesis Statement – Types and Examples
Are you working on your research paper and wondering about what is a thesis statement?
Don’t be scared. You have come to the right place.
A thesis statement is a sentence that summarizes or states your opinion on a topic. You can use this statement to start off an essay, speech, story, article, book, or even just a paragraph of text.
It's important to have one because it helps you organize your thoughts and communicate what you want to say!
Thesis statements are usually at the beginning of sentences or paragraphs, so they're easy to find when you need them!
This blog will give extensive knowledge on what is a thesis statement in an essay.
What is a Thesis Statement?
Every research paper has a central argument that reflects the main idea of the paper. It is known as a thesis statement. It is usually one to two sentences that need to be engaging enough to attract readers.
It is a road map that tells the reader what they should expect from the rest of the essay or paper. It is short and specific but provides the essay’s crux and what you will discuss in your essay.
It provides an overview of the entire research work and comes within the introduction section. It makes a claim directly answering the question. It tells the reader how they should interpret the significance of the subject matter in discussion.
The thesis statement should tell the reader what the paper is all about. It is further developed, supported, and explained with the help of examples and evidence. Similarly, it mainly encourages the reader to read more.
How to Write a Thesis Statement?
Most of the students often get confused with the idea of creating a persuasive thesis statement. It requires sufficient time to write a thesis that reflects the primary purpose of the research paper.
Writing a good thesis statement is a lengthy thinking process. It requires you to have enough knowledge and a strong grip on the subject matter being questioned.
Follow the below steps for writing a strong thesis statement.
- Read the research questions of your paper carefully.
- Depending on the type of the paper and research topic, gather and organize relevant evidence.
- Relate the facts and figures to formulate the statement.
- Directly answer the question being asked in the essay prompt.
- Take a position that others might disagree with or challenge.
- Be specific to the topic and the message you want to convey through your paper.
- Make sure it passes the ‘what,’ ‘how,’ and ‘why’ test.
- Avoid vague sentences as they make a weak thesis.
- Refine your thesis by making any changes and modifications required.
- Keep it precise and to the point.
Though this section comes at the start, it is advisable to create it after finishing the paper. Moreover, a good thesis statement always presents a single idea because multiple arguments may confuse the reader.
It is usually written according to the type of paper. For example, writing an argumentative paper requires you to have a strong argumentative thesis statement. Similarly, a persuasive essay would have a persuasive thesis statement.
Important Aspects of a Thesis Statement
The following are some important aspects of a thesis statement.
- It should be a complete statement
- It should not be in the form of a question
- It must state an opinion
- It should be developed from the reader’s point of view
- It should contain no more than a single idea
Thesis Statement Examples
Here we have mentioned some examples of good thesis statements regarding specific areas. It will show you how your thesis statement should look and how you can implement your opinions in one sentence.
- All healthy children must be vaccinated to improve their immune systems.
- High schools should provide facilities for low-income students so that they can easily access educational facilities.
- Buying school uniforms may cause a burden to some families, but they provide an equal environment at school.
- The continuous rise in populism in 2017 is because of the increasing globalization and Syrian refugee crisis.
- Libraries should be heavily funded because they are an essential source of knowledge for students.
- Cyberbullying is rising because of the excessive use of smartphones. Therefore, parents should restrict the use of smartphones by monitoring their children's activities online.
- Companies should provide more work-from-home opportunities to people so that they have a better work-life balance.
- Studying abroad is the most precious experience because it provides the best ways to learn about different cultures and languages.
- Heavy taxes are being imposed on cigarettes to deter people from purchasing them.
- A diverse work environment leads to better ideas and cooperation between people from various cultures and religions.
- At least 30% of the federal budget should be spent on upgrading business technologies, researching renewable energy sources, and planting more trees. It is a decisive step to control pollution.
- The college admission committee only accepts students with high test scores and extracurricular backgrounds.
- Medical experts should be paid high salaries as compared to celebrities. It is because they contribute to saving human life.
- We should be careful while sharing our personal information on social media because it can be misused.
- The blue-collar workers and coal miners should be trained to use modern technologies to get higher-paid jobs.
- We should be careful while sharing our personal information on social media because it can be passed to the third person and used inappropriately.
- Fast food should be banned at the school premises because it causes obesity and heart diseases among children.
Thesis Statement Template
A good thesis statement must follow the below-mentioned template. Only then, a reader can get a clear and detailed idea about it.
Sample Thesis Statement (PDF)
Thesis Statement Format (PDF)
Hopefully, you have a complete overview of writing a thesis statement by now. However, if you are still confused, FreeEssayWriter.net is here to assist you.
We are one of the professional and top-ranked writing services. Moreover, our skilled and experienced essay writer offers quality services in writing your essays and dissertations. We also have reasonable pricing plans for the students
Similarly, our writing service guarantees to produce original and plagiarism-free content. We are passionate about helping you with your academic needs. Contact us and place your order today.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the three parts of a thesis statement?
Following are the three parts of a thesis statement:
- The limited subject
- The precise opinion
- The blueprint of reasons.
What are the types of thesis statements?
There are two types of thesis statements:
- Explanatory thesis statement
- Argumentative thesis statement
What is the purpose of a thesis statement?
The purpose of a thesis statement is to give the reader a clear idea of the writers’ point of view about a specific topic. So the reader knows what to expect from your research or essay.
How long is a thesis statement?
Thesis statements are often one sentence long, but sometimes they are longer for more detailed papers. If you think your paper needs a thesis statement that is longer than one sentence, ask your professor for their advice.