A Detailed Opinion Essay Writing Guide for Students
Writing an opinion essay is a chance to reflect your opinion about something. However, a great opinion essay requires good writing and in-depth research skills.
Students everywhere are tasked with writing essays for various purposes. Whether it be an essay about their favorite book or a persuasive essay to convince their audience of something, having guidelines on writing is always useful.
Therefore, when you feel struggle writing this type of essay. Continue reading this blog and get a complete understanding of how to create a well-written essay.
What is an Opinion Essay?
An opinion essay is a type of essay in which the writer presents their perspective on a specific subject. Also, they supported their opinion by reasoning and examples. However, you can also discuss the opposing viewpoint with arguments that show its inconsistency.
The main purpose of the opinion essay is to:
- Prove some ideas.
- Give your opinion on a specific topic.
- Explain something from the subjective position of a writer.
- Describe the causes and relationship of something from the writer’s perspective.
Moreover, an opinion essay allows you to express and argue your opinion with logical reasoning. Therefore, you should state your opinion clearly.
However, make sure that you collect enough facts and arguments to support your opinion about a particular subject. The information that you collect fits with the points that you present in the essay.
Opinion Essay Structure
Like all other essays, an opinion essay also followed a proper structure. Without using the proper format or structure, your essay is a waste.
Therefore, take a look at the below-mentioned structure of the essay and write a good one.
- Start the essay with a hook statement.
- Provide a general overview of the topic.
- Include the thesis statement that clearly states your point of vie
- Paragraph 1: (Argument 1 in favor- along with examples, facts, etc.)
- Paragraph 2: (Argument 2 in favor- along with examples, facts, etc.)
- Paragraph 3: (Argument 3 against- along with examples, facts, etc.)
- Mention all the main points of the essay.
- Free of any new information.
- Restate the thesis statement.
- Leave the reader with a strong final impression.
How to Write an Opinion Essay?
To write a successful essay, you should follow some steps. Therefore, for your help, we compiled some steps that guide you in writing the perfect essay.
Before starting to write the essay, you need to collect information that supports your opinion. However, make sure the information that you collect is relevant and matches your opinion.
Also, in the prewriting phase, you should examine your opinion relevant to the topic. If not, then you should improve it and make it according to your audience’s interest.
2. Create Opinion Essay Outline
With the right essay outline, you will easily create the essay without forgetting the main points. It is like a roadmap that describes the path of the essay that you take. However, for the essay outline, follow the proper format. The opinion essay outline contains:
Opinion Essay Introduction
An introduction is the opening paragraph of the essay, and it should be attention-grabbing. The primary goal of the introduction is to prepare your readers to dip into the text.
After giving the hook statement, introduce the topic and provide some background information about the topic. However, it doesn't explain the essay topic in detail.
Also, conclude the essay with a strong thesis statement that covers the main purpose of the essay.
Opinion Essay Body Paragraphs
In the essay body, you need to support your thesis statement. Address the readers directly while expressing your concerns about the given statement.
Also, start every paragraph with a topic sentence and give solid reasons that support your opinion. Moreover, start a new paragraph only when you want to discuss the new idea.
Opinion Essay Conclusion
The conclusion is the last but important part of the essay. In this section, restate the main points of the essay and thesis statement. Also, try to avoid writing new ideas or information.
However, make sure that your essay conclusion is more engaging and ends with a warning, ask a provocative question, or suggest consequences.
- Opinion Essay Introduction
3. Finalize your Opinion Essay
When you complete writing your essay, start the editing and proofreading step. At this stage, remove grammar, vocabulary, and spelling mistakes. Make sure that your essay format is correct and meets all your requirements.
Also, in this step, check your essay with a plagiarism checker and make sure that your essay is free from plagiarism. Before submitting or publishing the essay, you must proofread or edit your essay.
Have a look at the following file to understand the complete format of this essay.
Opinion Essay Format
Opinion Essay Examples
The examples give you a better idea and help you to learn how to write a great essay. Here are some examples for your ease.
Opinion Essay About Fast Food
Opinion Essay About Internet
Opinion Essay on Online Classes
Opinion Essay Space Exploration
Opinion Essay Sample
GMO Opinion Essay
Opinion Essay Topics
A good essay is incomplete without a great topic. Therefore, for your help, we gathered some essay topics that you will use for your essay.
- Should potentially dangerous medical information be made available?
- The public transportation system is inconvenient in most parts of the U.S.
- Are standardized tests a good measure of intelligence and ability?
- Do you prefer spending money as you earn or saving it for future use?
- Children are often punished for bad grades and rewarded for good ones. Is this practice effective?
- Should I learn English from the British council?
- Why do we like celebrities, and who is your favorite celebrity, if any?
- Would it be wise to raise the legal drinking age further?
- Artists and musicians are as important as technology experts and scientists.
- What do you think about bad language in modern music?
Tips for Writing the Opinion Essay
The following are the tips that you should follow and write a great opinion essay.
- Before writing, develop your view on the topic.
- Use an active voice.
- Choose an interesting and engaging topic.
- Start with an attention-grabbing hook statement.
- Never title your essay with a question.
- Use supporting evidence to validate your position.
- Use transition words between or within the sentences.
- Research on the topic in-depth and understand them well.
- Write in a logical sequence that is easy to follow.
- Keep your writing style formal.
- Start with a strong argument.
- Understand the audience’s interest.
- Create the essay outline first and then start writing the essay.
- Conclude the essay properly without introducing new ideas or information.
Therefore, follow these tips and create a well-written essay without any mistakes or errors.
Now, you get a complete guide on writing the opinion essay. However, if you are still not sure about writing an essay like professional writers, consult FreeEssayWriter.net.
Our essay writer will guide you in writing the essay, research paper, term paper, thesis, or other academic assignments like experts.
Reach out to us now and get a high-quality essay at affordable rates.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a supported opinion essay?
A supported opinion essay is a way to express your own view on a controversial problem. The first goal of the essay should be to convince readers that your opinion is correct.