When you are writing an argumentative essay, you need more than just an opinion on a particular topic. Even the strong point of view would not compel readers if not structured in a proper way.
Learn the elements that should be included in an argumentative essay and how to structure the essay of this important type depending on the target audience.
This type of essay is also known as persuasive essays where the main aim is to convince the readers. For a great argumentative essay, it is expected to have sufficient information to defend your stance.
No wonder why educational institutes makes this type of writing priority to students. If you are working on delivering a persuasive message soon, this guide is for you. Keep reading the blog to find out the essential information for writing a perfect argumentative essay.
1. What Is An Argumentative Essay?
An argumentative essay is a type of essay that tries to persuade the reader to the author’s point of view. The aim of this type of essay is to raise a question and answer it with strong evidence. However, the topic may have multiple sides to address and judge by relevant sources.
An argumentative essay is a common task assigned to high school and college students. The goal of this essay is to convince the reader and the writer can accomplish this by writing:
- A clear and convincing thesis statement in the introductory paragraph
- The main body of the essay to provide strong evidence to support your argumentative stance.
- A number of sections to show why the opposite claim is not true.
- A conclusion that summarizes all the points and calls to take action.
It requires more than what your eyes see first. From thorough research to collect data and arranging it an appropriate way, all things become even harder when it comes to structuring the essay. With multiple sections and subsections, this particular type of writing is indeed daunting and tedious.
We are sure that the above four points will make your life easier. Just note these points and read on to know how this writing take place to have the required impact on the target audience.
2. Steps To Write An Argumentative Essay
Argumentative essay are quite straight forward in how they are organized. In your paper, you are required to do the following things:
2.1 Step 1: Choose A Topic
The first thing that you need to do is to choose an appropriate topic for your essay. An essay of this type is best served by a great topic that can be argued either for or against.
If your teacher has not assigned you a topic, take it as a great opportunity to choose something you are familiar with. Choosing a topic you have an opinion about is the best thing you can start with. In this way, you will be easily doing the research and writing on it.
2.2 Step 2: Research
After deciding on a good topic, look for helpful material by credible sources such as books, blogs, articles, documentaries). read thoroughly and take note of the issues related to your selected topic.
When writing your essay, cover the most important issues and opposing side of the argument as well. Look for ideas that are not explored yet. This will make you stand out for including something out of the box.
2.3 Step 3: Write An Outline
An argumentative essay outline will make the whole writing process less daunting for you. If you really want to craft a well written argumentative essay, the outline is the step you should start with, yes, after deciding on the topic.
The introduction of an argumentative essay should be written around the thesis statement. It provides some background information on the topic so the reader knows what you are going to address in the essay.
At the end of the introductory paragraph, state your thesis. Thesis statement is an important part of the essay that summarizes the entire context in one single statement.
2. Body Paragraphs
The body of your essay is the meat of your argument. In this part, go into details and discuss the point of view of both sides. Describe in detail your viewpoint and all the supporting evidence on why it makes sense.
Use your discovered information cleverly to discredit the opposing points of view. Use evidence from statistics to other studies to support the claim.
Each body paragraph should start with a topic sentence. Topic sentence is a single statement that is then further discussed in the body paragraph with pieces of evidence that support the thesis statement.
Summarize the main point of your argument and convince one last time why your stance is the best option. It would be a great idea to one more time add a shocking statistic to leave no room for doubt in the mind of the reader. Use this part as a great opportunity to restate your stance in the best possible way.
2.4 Step 4: Edit
Once you are done with the writing process, take a break and then go back to edit it. When editing pay close attention to the following things:
- Is your thesis statement is strong enough to argue either for or against
- Are your arguments written in a clear and precise manner
- Is the paper contains the best examples and research to back up the argument
- Did you successfully present the counter-argument
- Is the conclusion presenting a compelling idea for the future of this essay topic
2.5 Step 5: Proofread
When you have written all the required things in your argumentative paper and done with the writing and editing process. It's time to proofread your final draft.
3. Argumentative Essay Topics
While choosing a great essay topic, it is important to focus on only one subject at a time instead of focusing on several ideas and making the readers confused. Have a look at this topic list and choose the one you find interest in.
- Importance of physical education in high school.
- How should society deal with anorexia?
- Reasons why swimming is one of the best sports.
- The dangers of social media pranks and challenges.
- Is cheating out of control?
- Are cell phones dangerous to our health?
- Does boredom lead to trouble?
- Why are girls so mean to each other?
- Why do we need to control alcohol usage.
- Why do people like watching scary movies.
Looking for more topics? Here is a list of interesting argumentative essay topics you can choose from for your essay.
4. Argumentative Essay Example
An argumentative essay aims to persuade readers by using relevant facts and evidence to support the thesis. By reading some good argumentative essay examples, you will be able to craft your essay easily by providing enough information to make your reader agree with your viewpoint.
When writing your essay, remember your thesis is clear, explain both sides and back up your opinion with relevant facts and examples. Here is an excellent argumentative essay example to help you find out all the details and crush your next essay writing assignment.
Argumentative Essay Example
5. Argumentative Essay Writing Tips
For writing a perfect argumentative paper, here are some tips that you can consider to formulate your ideas into a cohesive presentation.
- The most critical part of writing an argumentative essay is to choose an appropriate topic. The topic is the first thing that will determine how well your essay will turn out. Take time and choose a compelling topic to help you win over your target audience.
- Even if you are perfect at writing, your poor grammar and punctuation skills will make it difficult for you to achieve high grades you are hoping for. So, it is important to ensure your paper is free from language mistakes.
- Always look for sentence structure, punctuation, and grammar mistakes. Remove the inappropriate information. Make sure the paper is free from any time of typo and sentence structure error. And for that edit and proofread your essay before submitting your paper.
- If you are unable to do it by yourself, ask someone else to do it for you and provide your feedback. It is a great opportunity to point out the tiny mistakes and make changes if there is any room for improvement.
- Last but not least, practice is the key to enhancing your essay writing skills. The more you practice the more you will be able to write perfect essays. With constant practice, you will eventually become better at essay writing.
Need Help For Your Argumentative Essay?
It all seems very simple, just select, write an essay and edit. But choosing a great topic to write a well structured argumentative essay can be a daunting task if you don’t know the techniques of handling such an important essay type especially if you are short on time and do not possess good writing skills.
So, if you find your writing is a bit flat or you have no time on selecting and writing the whole essay from scratch, don’t forget that a team of professional writers are by your side. We, at FreeEssayWriter are always ready to provide you help at affordable prices.
Just get in touch and expand your horizons by ordering an excellent argumentative essay now!